Sunday 8 September 2013

I SHOULD'VE STAYED IN BED TODAY: Andy Gallagher talks to us about his new album with Overhaul!

 
Part 1 - The 'INTERVIEW'
 
1 - Had you been invovlved with any other bands prior to Andy Gallagher & Overhaul?
 
"Yes, since I was thirteen or fourteen I had been playing in bands. I think you've got to do that and soak everything up. Good or bad it makes you a more seasoned player and songwriter."
 
2 - How did Andy Gallagher & Overhaul begin?
 
"We began as Overhaul and because the line-up kept changing and it was all my own songs we were playing, it seemed natural to rename the band Andy Gallagher & Overhaul. It meant I could have whoever I wanted in the band and the name would never have to change and it lives up to the band. Overhaul - the act of improving by renewing and restoring."
 
3 - Where did the name Overhaul come from?
 
"My wife, Pauline, came up with it."
 
4 - How would you describe the sound of Andy Gallagher & Overhaul?
 
"Well, I get told that we are alternative rock but I don't like to pigeon hole my work."
 
5 - In 2011, you played bass for one of your biggest influences - Gordan Gano. How did it feel playing with someone you held in such high esteem?
 
"It was a dream come true. I loved that tour from start to finish. Gordon is such a sweetheart of a guy and an amazing songwriter and violinist too. Honestly, I felt so honoured and proud to be a part of Gordon Gano & The Ryan's. I hope we can do it all again sometime soon."
 
6 - Your next studio album will be called 'Achukma'. Where did this title come from and what does it mean?
 
"It comes from Choctwa Native American language. Achukma is used a lot in Choctwa to describe a great many things. Peace, goodness, fairness, honesty, good, gracious etc. I liked the idea that one word had so many uses and it was sort of cryptic too."
 
7 - What can fans be expecting from the new album?
 
"Good songs, great friends, well written, well performed and well recorded and mixed. A pirate rock song, a song about my time in Milwaukee, a song about a bad day and in hindsight would've been better off staying in bed and a few other songs that I enjoyed writing and recording."
 
8 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"I would love to continue collaborating more with all the artists I've worked with over the years but would love to collaborate with Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum, Sean Scholnik of Langhorne Slim, maybe Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), Lou Barlow (Sebadoh), Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac), Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age) and J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr)."
 
9 - Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"I'm always writing new songs. I enjoy the process of writing. I find writing very therapeutic. In fact I've got about three or four albums worth of songs to release."
 
10 - Any new singles, EP's or albums to be released in the near future?
 
"Yes, 'Achukma' will be officially released on the 28th November 2013, I'm pretty sure there'll be a single or two from that as well as a video. I hopefully intend to make a start on our next album in October at Cava Studios in Glasgow, Scotland with Geoff Allen engineering and co-producing. Joey Huffman (Soul Asylum/Matchbox Twenty), Mike Hoffman (Semi Twang/Delta Routine), Kevin Sellors and I are trying to work out some time in Atlanta, Georgia as part of the new album. Also, Chris Mancini, Kenny Johnson and I will be working on the "Kelburn Sessions" album with Nick Hodge engineering. My idea behind this album is to try and record everything live. Like back in original days of recording. It'll be more about the performance and feel of the songs rather than the piecing the song track by track, overdub after overdub."
 
11 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"Our booking agent, Ian Smith at Frusion Agency is working at that right now. Keep your eyes peeled on our website and our facebook page for upcoming shows and tours."
 
12 - Who would be in your dream supergroup?
 
"Hmmm, that's a tough one, I'll work with anyone!"
 
Part 2 - The 'QUICKFIRE ROUND'
 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
Andy: "Used to be John but now I favour George."
 
Mike: "When I was a kid Ringo, now John."
 
Brendan: "George."
 
Billy: "George."
 
Kevin: "Respect. But I'll take The Stones over The Beatles any day of the week."
 
Graham: "George."
 
Kenny: "George."
 
Chris: "Stag. Oh, BeAtle - Lennon."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
Andy: "Neil Young & Crazy Horse, NO WAIT, Dinosaur Jr, NO WAIT, Violent Femmes, NO WAIT!"
 
Mike: "Beatles."
 
Brendan: "Talking Heads."
 
Billy: "The Rolling Stones."
 
Kevin: "Zeppelin."
 
Graham: "Radiohead."
 
Kenny: "Stooges."
 
Chris: "Tool, though it's a close call with Queens Of The Stone Age."
 
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
Andy: "Beirut."
 
Mike: "The Record Company."
 
Brendan: "Arcade Fire."
 
Billy: "Band-Shins, Old 97s."
 
Kevin: "Cody Marlowe and the Dead Flowers."
 
Graham: "Hookworms."
 
Kenny: "Cosmic Dead."
 
Chris: "Zun Zun Egui."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
Andy: "Bruce Spingsteen - Downbound Train."
 
Mike: "Mood Indigo - Stardust."
 
Brendan: "Born Under Punches."
 
Billy: "Fly Me To The Moon."
 
Kevin: "Otis Redding's version of Down In The Valley."
 
Graham: "At Last...Etta James"
 
Kenny: "Britney Spears - Toxic."
 
Chris: "Right Now - PJ Harvey: One line - tomorrow, who knows!"
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
Andy: "Neil Young - After The Gold Rush/Zuma or Soul Asylum - Let Your Dim Light Shine."
 
Mike: "Ella and Louis Sing/Pet Sounds/Sgt Pepper/OK Computer (and several more)."
 
Brendan: "Frank's Wild Years."
 
Billy: "Exile On Main Street."
 
Kevin: "Zeppelin II."
 
Graham: "Kid A."
 
Kenny: "Stooges Fun House."
 
Chris: "Tool: Lateralus - sometimes, The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
Andy: "Vinyl with a digital download card that you can then burn onto CD."
 
Mike: "Vinyl."
 
Brendan: "Vinyl."
 
Billy: "Vinyl/Cassette."
 
Kevin: "I still like CD's."
 
Graham: "Vinyl."
 
Kenny: "Anything but tape."
 
Chris: "Download. Our record deck was gifted away sadly..."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
Andy: "None."
 
Mike: "Bob Dylan circa Highway 61."
 
Brendan: "None."
 
Billy: "Bowie."
 
Kevin: "Mick Jagger in that live video of Brown Sugar where he's wearing that pink suit...that's fun."
 
Graham: "Bowie."
 
Kenny: "Whenever I buy jeans, I ask "What would Iggy go?""
 
Chris: "Mike Patton's quite a snappy dresser..."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
Andy: "Whatever fits!"
 
Mike: "Public School, Vines/Beatwear, Boots/EyeGlassBoy, shades."
 
Brendan: "None."
 
Billy: "Vintage 50s"
 
Kevin: "Whoever made that pink suit."
 
Graham: "Levis."
 
Kenny: "You might as well ask who my favourite Tory is."
 
Chris: "I actually know nothing about brands. Eh, charity shop?"
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
Andy: "Die Hard or anything Alfred Hitchcock made."
 
Mike: "Goodfellas."
 
Brendan: "One Flew Over The Coo Coo's Nest."
 
Billy: "None."
 
Kevin: "Gladiator."
 
Graham: "Pulp Fiction."
 
Kenny: "The Big Lebowski."
 
Chris: "Old Boy by Park Chan-Wook. Simply outstanding in every way."

10 - Favourite TV show?
 
Andy: "Sgt. Bilko (Phil Sivers show), Breaking Bad or Alfred Hitchcock Hour."
 
Mike: "Breaking Bad/Larry Sanders."
 
Brendan: "The Honeymooners."
 
Billy: "Homeland."
 
Kevin: "NFL!"
 
Graham: "Breaking Bad."
 
Kenny: "Roadrunner."
 
Chris: "The Sopranos."
 
11 - Who would you like to play you in a film of your life?
 
Andy: "Eeyore or Winnie The Pooh. Either of them would portray 'me' brilliantly"
 
Mike: "Johnny Depp."
 
Brendan: "Steve Buscemi."
 
Billy: "Johnny Depp."
 
Kevin: "Me."
 
Graham: "Josh Homme."
 
Kenny: "Diamanda Galas but I don't think I've lived the right life for that."
 
Chris: "Keanu Reeves, because he's the most talented actor ever!"
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
Andy: "My wife's cooking. And chicken wings."
 
Mike: "Courage."
 
Brendan: "Lobster."
 
Billy: "Greek."
 
Kevin: "Japanese."
 
Graham: "Buritto."
 
Kenny: "Steak."
 
Chris: "Spicy prawns and coconut rice...I'm drooling."
 
13 - Football team?
 
Andy: "Green Bay Packers. Don't follow 'soccer' but I do like the world cup when it's on."
 
Mike: "Green Bay Packers!"
 
Brendan: "The NY Jets."
 
Billy: "NY Jets and Giants. I love New York."
 
Kevin: "Baltimore Ravens."
 
Graham: "Don't have one."
 
Kenny: "*Insert expletive here* right off."
 
Chris: "What team? Is that the new thing the kids all watch? Sports?"
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Andy Gallagher & Overhaul! Check out our previous feature on The DuBarrys!
 
Visit the Andy Gallagher & Overhaul site here - http://andygallagher.net/
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB Records
 

No comments:

Post a Comment