Friday 27 September 2013

YOU'RE NOT ON THE EARTH TODAY: An interview with the very talented Annie Winter!

 
PART 1 - "THE INTERVIEW"
 
1 - What was your first musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the record industry?
 
"Not sure about my first musical memory but my dad's vinyl collection and going to gigs from a young age inspired me to pick up a guitar and write songs."
 
2 - Had you been involved with any other bands prior to becoming a solo artist as Annie Winter?
 
"I used to do covers gigs as an acoustic duo but with originals, I just started solo and one by one added a band to my set."
 
3 - Why did you choose to become a solo artist instead of forming a band?
 
"I love having a band behind me, with amazing musicians. I write alone and then we jam the songs together and see what happens. I have never written with someone else and I think I'd find it hard writing as a band as its such a personal thing, it's like writing a diary that rhymes."
 
4 - How would you describe the sound of Annie Winter?
 
"Difficult to describe and I'm still not sure what 'genre' it is. I'd say eclectic, folk, soul. It's not entirely one thing, but instead its a mixture of sounds with a mellow vibe."
 
5 - Last year you started to perform with a backing band - how has this changed the sound and dynamic of your music?
 
"The music has changed from stripped back acoustic folk, to soulful and rhythmical delight. It's a lot more dynamic now."
 
6 - You have performed at many high profile gigs such as the Isle of Wight Festival and a gig supporting Deborah Bonham. How does it feel playing these 'bigger' gigs and has it had a boost on your career?
 
"I love playing good gigs, but all gigs are good. I suppose the Isle of Wight was exciting because a lot of hype is created around it and it's cool to play to a different group of people. I loved supporting Deb Bonham, she's a beautiful person with lovely followers. It definitely helps supporting well-known people or venues as people take notice of what you're up to next."
 
7 - You appeared in a Keane music video. How did this come about?
 
"I know the director - Andy Marsh so he asked me to be in it. In return he has filmed my first music video for me, which will be released soon."
 
8 - Your debut album is called Zooni. What does this mean and why did you choose it as the title?
 
"Zooni means the moon in Kashmir and it was the name given to me by the locals in Srinagar when I stayed there. It was also the name given to Habba Khatun, a 16th-century poet."
 
9 - What can fans expect from your debut album?
 
"If you have already heard my solo stuff then you may be surprised at the new sound. It's an album which in the winter it sounds quite cold and in the summer it sounds like the sun."
 
10 - Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"Robert Plant."
 
11 - Any live dates coming up?
 
"TBC."
 
12 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"Hmmm, can I choose passed people as well? George Harrison, Mike Patto, Jaki Whitren, Thijs Van Leer, Dave Gilmour, John Bonham and Steve Marriott. And another 20 legends probably!"
 
PART 2 - "THE QUICKFIRE ROUND"
 
1  - Favourite Beatle?
 
"George."
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"Patto and Led Zeppelin."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"Really like Alt-J."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"You can't ask me that! At the moment it is Hazey Jane II by Nick Drake. It's my waking up song."
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"Dark Side of the Moon."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"Vinyl."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Ron Burgandy."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Slow Turtle."
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"Anchorman."
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"Strictly Come Dancing."
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"Marilyn Monroe."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"Veggie."
 
13 - Football team?
 
"Arsenal apparently!"
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Annie Winter! Check out our previous feature on Metropolis!
For more info on Annie Winter click here - http://www.anniewinter.co.uk/
 
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB Records

No comments:

Post a Comment