Sunday 10 November 2013

TILT SHIFT: Our interview with Kerry from the promotions and publicity company Tilt Shift Music!

 
PART 1 - "THE INTERVIEW"
 
1 - What was your first musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the record industry?
 
"I guess like most people my musical memories began as a child at home! My mum and dad were real "party" people and at home in the seventies they'd somehow converted our sitting room into a disco! With flashing lights and white leather chairs...punch bowls...lots of baby sham...ABBA...that sorta thing. I used to listen to my older brother's records, he introduced me to the greats...Led Zep, Supertramp, The Eagles, The Band! A career with music just came about by accident!"
 
2 - Why did you choose to set up a promotions/publicity company?
 
"Again it came about by accident really...I started doing stuff for my son who is a musician. One thing led to another and lots of his mates started asking if I'd help them out too. I just made lots of friends and contacts and thought it would be rather useful for everyone if I just 'helped' people out with stuff!"
 
3 - What is the goal behind Tilt Shift?
 
"It may seem a bit idealistic, but my goal I guess would be to allow people 'in the know' in the industry to hear the amazing undiscovered talent we have!"
 
4 - Why did you choose the name Tilt Shift?
 
"Choosing a name was so hard! How the hell anyone decides a band name is beyond me! I didn't want my name and I just wanted something that sounded quite cool, but didn't conjure up any images either...Tilt Shift is a photography term!"
 
5 - What sort of artists do you like to support?
 
"It is always amazing to find those 'hidden gems' that no-one else knows about...the ones who have been holed up somewhere perfecting their craft...and you listen to them in disbelief at how good they are! But really I would help anyone out who is enthusiastic about music!"
 
6 - One of your greatest success stories yet is ‘Ali’ who has signed a record deal. How did it feel to have one of your artists recognised in such a way?
 
"Amazing...especially as Ali is my son too! It is just the next step on a long road...but it's ace for him to be recognised for all the hard work he's put in. It's nice to have other people realising his talent!"
 
7 - Which up and coming artists are you currently liking the most?
 
"Wow...there are so many, even just around Liverpool. Luke Cusato, Yarbo, Colour, Ian Dunn, The City Walls...I always have to be honest with myself though on these type of questions...a band called Red Sails is what I'd go home and listen to...everyone needs a bit of Red Sails in their life..."
 
8 - What advice would you give to new, young, up and coming bands and artists who are just starting up in the music business?
 
"Work hard! It pays off! And when you're ready to record...pay for a decent studio and producer, it makes all the difference. We are pretty spoilt in Liverpool, we have Parr St and The Motor Museum, both world class studios who work very closely with up and coming artists!"
 
9 - Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"Ooo, I don't even know where to start with this question!"
 
PART 2 - "THE QUICKFIRE ROUND"
 
1 - Favourite Beatle?
 
"I wanna say 'death watch' - is that too predictable? I'm going with any of them who isn't Macca!"
 
2 - Favourite band?
 
"Radiohead."
 
3 - Favourite new band?
 
"Dry The River - it's what genius sounds like."
 
4 - Favourite song?
 
"Wowee, another toughie! Will go with 'Lover, You Should've Come Over', Jeff Buckley...most gorgeous lines ever written,
'It's never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
It's never over, all my riches for her smiles when I slept so soft against her
It's never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
It's never over, she's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever.' Kills me - every time."
 
5 - Favourite album?
 
"The Bends."
 
6 - Vinyl, CD or download?
 
"Would love to say download...but lazy downloads I'm afraid."
 
7 - Style icon?
 
"Liz McDonald."
 
8 - Favourite clothing brand?
 
"I just discovered Shelfies...your face on a sweater is inspirational!"
 
9 - Favourite film?
 
"Cinema Paradiso...it made me cry for a weeks!"
 
10 - Favourite TV show?
 
"Sons Of Anarchy - season three - Jax Teller is a god!"
 
11 - Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"Kathy Bates or Dustin Hoffman."
 
12 - Favourite food?
 
"I'm partial to a great ham salad sandwich!"
 
13 - Football team?
 
"Liverpool all the way!"
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Tilt Shift Music! Check out our previous feature on Junebug!
 
Check out Tilt Shift Music here - http://www.tiltshiftmusic.com/index.html
 
  
You can also like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB RECORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment