Thursday 9 January 2014

PAPER HEART: An interview with Scottish singer-songwriter Charlotte Black!

 
Below is our interview with Charlotte Black, a singer-songwriter from Edinburgh.
 
To stay up to date with future interviews like our facebook page at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
 
PART 1 - THE INTERVIEW
 
What was your first musical memory and what pushed you towards pursuing a career in the record industry?
 
"It would have to be when I was eight years old and my music teacher in Luxembourg persuaded me to sing a solo for the school play, I couldn’t have imagined anything worse. However when I performed it I enjoyed it so much that I kept singing, and I guess my love for it just progressed from there."
 
What sort of records were played around the house when you were younger and did these records have an influence on your songwriting?
 
"Most vivid memory of music would be ABBA and Diana Ross, these artists were always playing in the car! I’m not sure, I think these artists mostly influenced my love for music."
 
Had you been involved with any other bands prior to becoming a solo artist as Charlotte Black?
 
"I haven’t actually; I have collaborated with friends before and performed covers etcetera but never anything serious."
 
Why did you choose to become a solo artist instead of forming a band?
 
"I’m currently in the process of creating a band to accompany my songwriting…I love performing just by myself and my guitar as I feel the performance is so much more intimate, however having played around with a band since I have been living in Brighton, I have really enjoyed what its added to my music."
 
How would you describe the sound of Charlotte Black?
 
"I would say its mainly acoustic, mellow, relaxing music with meaningful lyrics that I hope people can relate to."
 
You were originally based in Edinburgh but have since moved to Brighton. How did this move come about and has the change in surroundings had an effect on your music?
 
"I was desperate to move away and I guess ‘find myself’ and I found a fantastic course for music in Brighton as well. Since I’ve been here I’ve written so many more songs, being able to do what I love every single day is the best thing ever."
 
You made one of your songs, ‘Paper Heart’, available online. What is this song about and what influenced it?
 
"Ahh that’s a very old song! It is influenced by a failed relationship, however I’d like the listener to be able to make their own understanding of it and see how it relates to them."
 
As well as writing and recording originals you cover a lot of songs ranging from Chris Brown to Bill Withers. When covering a song is it important to you to put your own ‘twist’ on it?
 
"I always start of by doing something very similar to the artist’s original version, and then I work on making it my own. It’s important to show listeners that you can interpret a piece of music in a way that is different to its original creator."
 
You’ve said you hope to release an EP soon. What can fans expect from this?
 
"I’m in the middle of organising this at the moment, by February/April it’ll be recorded and released. An EP is a moment in time, so it will just be the songs and experiences I’ve had recently and the stage I am at with my music at the moment."
 
 Do you have any 'rituals' before going on stage?
 
"Don’t overeat otherwise I’ll feel sick! I get very nervous but after I sing the first few lines it turns to excitement and I enjoy the whole performance."
 
Any live dates coming up?
 
"I’m performing in a few venues across Brighton for 30-minute sets within the next few months, which is great. I’m hoping to get some gigs up in Edinburgh when I’m home for Easter as well."
 
Any new songs in the pipeline?
 
"I have written a lot since I got to Brighton, so yes I have lots of new music up my sleeve."
 
When can fans be expecting the next release?
 
"Probably a video release before my EP comes out."
 
Who would be your dream collaboration?
 
"Boyce Avenue, John Mayer or Taylor Swift. They are all incredible artists who write beautifully, it would be amazing to write with one of them one day."
 
Who would be in your dream super group?
 
"Taylor Swift, John Mayer and Eva Cassidy!"
 
 
PART 2 - THE QUICKFIRE ROUND
 
Favourite Beatle?
 
"Couldn't choose!"
 
Favourite band?
 
"Somewhere between Daughter and Passenger!"
 
Favourite new band?
 
"The 1975."
 
Favourite song?
 
"Would have to be Life Is Beautiful by Vega 4."
 
Favourite album?
 
"One of John Mayer's."
 
Style icon?
 
"I don’t actually have one yet, I tend to just have a look around and see what’s in fashion."
 
Favourite clothing brand?
 
"Topshop."
 
Favourite film?
 
"Typically the Notebook."
 
Favourite TV show?
 
"One Tree Hill."
Who would play you in a film of your life?
 
"Annasophia Robb, I wish!"
 
Favourite food?
 
"Chinese food."
 
Football team?
 
"I don't watch football, ever."
 
 
Hope you enjoyed this feature on Charlotte Black! Check out our previous feature on Red Crow!
 
Check out Charlotte Black here - https://www.facebook.com/charlotteblackmusic?sk=info
 
You can also like our facebook page to keep up to date with all future interviews at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/aldorabritainrecords
 
AB RECORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment